Barnes & Noble has announced the finalists for its 2008 Discover Great New Writers Awards. The winners in each category, fiction and nonfiction, receive a $10,000 prize and a full year of additional promotion from Barnes & Noble. Second-place finalists receive $5,000, and third-place finalists, $2,500. The finalists are:
- Zachary Lazar, Sway (Little, Brown)
- Gin Phillips, The Well and the Mine (Hawthorne Books)
- Benjamin Taylor, The Book of Getting Even (Steerforth Press)
- David Sheff, Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey through His Son's Addiction (Houghton Mifflin)
- Eric Weiner, The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World (Twelve)
- Nia Wyn, Blue Sky July: A Mother's Story of Hope and Healing (Dutton)
The winners will be announced on March 4, at a private awards ceremony. At 7:00 p.m. that evening, all six finalists are invited to read from their work at Barnes & Noble's Tribeca store in New York City, located at 97 Warren Street (at Greenwich Street). The Discover Awards honor the best works featured the previous calendar year in the Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers program.