The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Independence?. "Many nations used to be colonised by other countries but have won their independence. See if you can answer these questions about independence. " Answers here.
1. Which nation was created when it adopted the Declaration of Independence from Great Britain on July 4, 1776?
2. Jamaica became independent from which country in 1962?
3. In which year did the Soviet Union break up after declarations of independence by many of its constituent republics: 1981, 1991 or 2001?
4. Until 1822, was Brazil a colony of Spain, Portugal or Italy?
5. Until 1816, was Argentina a colony of Spain, Portugal or Italy?
6. Which Mediterranean island became an independent country in 1960 with Archbishop Makarios as president?
7. What was Zimbabwe called before it gained independence in 1980?
8. Which country, whose capital is Helsinki, became independent from Russia in 1917?
9. In 1971, East Pakistan broke away from West Pakistan to become which independent country?
10. Burkina Faso (or Upper Volta) achieved independence from which country on August 5, 1960?