The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Abraham Lincoln. Answers here.
1. What phrase is normally used for the famous speech which Abraham Lincoln gave at a Civil War memorial on the 19th of November, 1863? The speech ended: "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth".
2. Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin - true or false?
3. Who assassinated Lincoln in 1865?
4. Was Abraham Lincoln the first, second or third American president, elected in the nineteenth century, to be assassinated?
5. Prior to Lincoln's inauguration as President, how many southern states proclaimed their formal secession from the Union and formed their own government (the Confederacy) - was it five, seven or nine?
6. In 1860, Lincoln became the presidential nominee for which new anti-slavery political party?
7. In a speech on 19 May 1856, Lincoln said that the ballot is stronger than...what?
8. Lincoln's most enduring monument, the Lincoln Memorial, was dedicated on what holiday in 1922?
9. What was the title of the play that Lincoln was watching when he was assassinated?
10. What is the name for the medical condition that Lincoln was said to have, which made him tall and thin?