The Friday Brain-teaser from Xrefer - this week: 1986. Answers here.
1. Name the Sherpa mountaineer who died in 1986 and was the first man to reach the summit of Mount Everest with Edmund Hillary in 1953.
2. Who wrote the novel "A Room with a View," which was made into a film in 1986 by Ismail Merchant and James Ivory?
3. What wavelike movement got its name from its first appearance during the World Cup finals in 1986?
4. Who won an Oscar for Best Screenplay with his 1986 film "Hannah and her Sisters?"
5. Which comet with a 76-year orbit made an appearance in 1986?
6. Which US clarinetist and bandleader, nicknamed the "King of Swing," died in 1986?
7. Following her husband's overthrow in 1986 as president of the Philippines, whose enormous collection of shoes was put on display?
8. What museum of 19th- and early 20th-century art was opened in 1986 at a former railway station in Paris?
9. What name was given to the deregulation, on October 27, 1986, of the London-based securities markets?
10. Which Czechoslovakian-born tennis player was the number one ranked male player in the world in 1986?