The Friday Brain-teaser from xrefer this week tests your knowledge of proverbs. Questions set by Tony Augarde, author of "The Oxford Guide to Word Games". Answers are here:
1. According to the proverb, all roads lead to where?
2. What would you use to keep the doctor away?
3. A watched pot never does what?
4. According to a saying adapted from the Sermon on the Mount, who shall inherit the Earth?
5. According to the proverb, what can't you judge by its cover?
6. A 17th-century horse-dealer in Cambridge gave his name to which proverbial phrase for a choice that actually offers no alternative?
7. Jean-Paul Sartre's 1944 play "Huis Clos" stated that hell is...what?
8. What opinion about hope was coined by Alexander Pope in 1732 and quickly became proverbial?
9. Which animals, according to a 19th-century proverb, "are very unlikely birds"?
10. Which proverb was probably created by US journalist Dan Cook in 1978?