The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Brewer. "An updated version of "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable" has been added to Credo Reference. This famous reference book is now in its 18th edition! It can supply the answers to all these questions" Answers here.
1. "The Big Easy" is a nickname for which city in Louisiana?
2. In Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner", what kind of bird was shot by the Ancient Mariner?
3. According to ancient myth, Atlantis was an extensive island in which ocean?
4. What is the twelfth sign of the zodiac?
5. In measuring the height of a horse, how long is a "hand"?
6. Which Shakespeare play includes a character called Autolycus: is it "A Midsummer Night's Dream". "Hamlet" or "The Winter's Tale"?
7. What shape is the pasta known as "conchiglie"?
8. "Foggy Bottom" is a nickname for which department of the US government?
9. When talking about Hollywood movies, who or what was "Rin Tin Tin"?
10. What is a "wayzgoose"?