The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: The Encyclopedia of 20th Century Technology. Answers here.
"Credo Reference is continually adding new reference sources to its database. One of these is Routledge's 'Encyclopedia of 20th Century Technology'. All this week's questions can be answered from this source"
1. In recording television, what does the abbreviation "DVD" stand for?
2. In a fax machine, what is "fax" short for?
3. Wind is essentailly the movement of substantial air masses from regions of low pressure to regions of high pressure. True or false?
4. What kind of engine was perfected by Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach in 1883?
5. What is the modern name of the dam on the Colorado River originally called the Boulder Dam?
6. What was the name of the electronic ping-pong game devised by Al Alcorn and Nolan Bushnell and released as an arcade game in 1972 and a home version in 1975?
7. Which restaurant chain originated in 1948 at San Bernadino, California, when two brothers called Richard and Maurice created the Speedee Service System?
8. Which computer company was founded in 1976 by Steve Jobs and Stephen Wozniak?
9. What is the popular name for what are technically called "surfactants"?
10. What was the title of the first CinemaScope film, issued in 1953?