The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Detectives on Screen. Answers here.
1. Which actor played detectives Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade in films, including "The Maltese Falcon" (1941)?
2. Which curmudgeonly opera-loving detective chief inspector of the Thames Valley Police was played on television by John Thaw from 1987 to 2000?
3. Which dishevelled one-eyed Italian-American police lieutenant was played on television in the 1970s by Peter Falk?
4. Which elderly spinster detective was played on film by Margaret Rutherford and on television by Joan Hickson and Geraldine McEwan?
5. Who played Jessica Fletcher in the television crime series "Murder, She Wrote"?
6. In which 1971 "blaxploitation" crime film did Richard Roundtree play a private eye who found himself at odds with a racketeer?
7. Which Belgian detective was played on cinema or televison screens at various times by Albert Finney, Peter Ustinov, Ian Holm and David Suchet?
8. Who directed the 1974 film "Chinatown" in which Jack Nicholson played a private detective in 1930s Los Angeles?
9. Which 1986 film starred Sean Connery as an English Franciscan seeking the serial murderer of several monks?
10. Which actor played a drunken Sherlock Holmes in the 1988 film "Without a Clue"?