The Friday Brain-teaser from Xrefer - this week: Endangered Species. It is estimated that more than 5,000 animal species (as well as 34,000 types of plant) are in danger of disappearing from our planet - and that doesn't include human beings! Try to identify these endangered species from the clues about them. Answers here
1. This large, bear-like mammal of Tibet and China has thick white fur and patches around its eyes. It is the giant... what?
2. This large, thick-skinned herbivorous mammal of Africa and Asia has one or two upright horns on its snout.
3. This large, Arctic bear is a powerful swimmer and usually lives on drifting ice packs.
4. A large wild cat found in the mountains of Central Asia, with fur patterned with black rosette spots: it's the snow... what?
5. The only true arboreal great ape, characterized by a high forehead and a bulging snout - it is found in Sumatra and Borneo.
6. Some species of this small or medium-sized kangaroo are endangered - it is native to Australia and Tasmania.
7. A nocturnal tree-dwelling primate, now confined to Madagascar, with large eyes and a long bushy tail.
8. The largest living whale, probably the largest animal ever, named for its color.
9. This kind of eagle is the national emblem of the USA, which is why it is sometimes called the American eagle.
10. This semi-aquatic turtle has a low shell and webbed feet, and usually inhabits fresh or brackish waters. One type is the "diamondback."