The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Scientists. Answers here.
1. Which English scientist wrote a book called "A Brief History of Time" (1988) which became an international best-seller?
2. Which Russian scientist used dogs in conditioned response experiments where he sounded a bell while presenting food to a dog?
3. Which British environmental scientist proposed the Gaia hypothesis, for which he is best known?
4. Which science writer collaborated with Stanley Kubrick on the 1968 film "2001: A Space Odyssey" and conceived the idea of communications satellites?
5. Name the US scientist who invented the phonograph and the electric light bulb.
6. Name the British civil engineer who designed ships called the Great Western, Great Britain, and Great Eastern.
7. Which British chemist (1733-1804) discovered oxygen and 10 other gases?
8. What was the surname of the Swedish naturalist who, in 1735, devised a system for classifying plants into groups depending on shared characteristics?
9. What was the nationality of the inventor Marconi?
10. Which French chemist and microbiologist developed the germ theory of disease and created a vaccine for rabies?