The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Pens. Answers here.
Quite a lot of words start with the letters P-E-N. In this brainteaser, see if you can identify these pen- words from the definitions given. For example, if the definition is "A device for writing and drawing," the answer could be "pencil."
1. A dwelling on the roof or in the uppermost part of a building, usually structurally distinct
2. A punishment, such as imprisonment, a fine, etc. imposed for wrongdoing, breaking a contract or rule, etc.
3. Deeply, seriously, or sadly thoughtful.
4. A narrow strip of land projecting into a sea or lake from the mainland.
5. A weight, suspended from a fixed point, that swings freely back and forth.
6. In the U.S. or Canada: a state or federal prison.
7. An athletic contest consisting of five different events.
8. Next to the last.
9. A fringe region of half shadow resulting from the partial obstruction of light by an opaque object.
10. A line of verse consisting of five metrical feet.