The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Oxford. Answers here.
1. Is "Oxford blue" a dark blue or light blue colour?
2. Which pair of film comedians starred in the 1940 film "A Chump at Oxford"?
3. What are "Oxford bags"? Are they trousers with very wide baggy legs, kinds of shopping bags, or a slang name for students?
4. "Oxford" is a rhyming slang word, short for "Oxford scholar". Does it mean a collar, a dollar, or squalor?
5. Who wrote the book "Lyra's Oxford" which was published in 2003?
6. What is the usual name given to the Oxford Committee for Famine Relief, which was founded in 1942?
7. The Oxford Symphony got its popular name from being performed at Oxford in 1791 when the university awarded its composer an honorary degree. Was it written by Beethoven, Schubert or Haydn?
8. The name "Isis" is a local name around Oxford for what?
9. Who wrote the treatise "The Origin of Species" which led to an historic debate at Oxford in 1860 on whether man was descended from "apes or angels"?
10. Which product of Oxford is often abbreviated to "OED"?