The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Nine and Ten. "All the questions in this brainteaser are about the numbers nine and ten." Answers here.
1. According to the proverb, which animal has nine lives?
2. What is the meaning of the phrase "the whole nine yards"?
3. Who starred in the 1979 film "10" as a sexually obsessed middle-aged composer who marks his girls 1 to 10?
4. What is or was a "cat-o'-nine-tails"?
5. According to the Old Testament, which Hebrew leader was given the Ten Commandments engraved on two tablets of stone?
6. Who appeared in the 1980 film "Nine to Five" and composed the song of the same name which won a Grammy award in 1981?
7. In Roman numerals, what letter represents the number ten?
8. Who was the "nine days' queen" (1537-1554)?
9. Who wrote the poem "The Old Vicarage, Grantchester" which includes the lines: "Stands the Church clock at ten to three? And is there honey still for tea?"
10. The 1919 book "Ten Days that Shook the World" by US journalist John Reed was about which historical event?