The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Palaces. "This week's brainteaser is about various buildings which are called "palaces"." Answers here.
1. In which country is the palace of Versailles?
2. What is the name of the London home of the British sovereign, standing at the west end of St James's Park?
3. In which country is the Alhambra palace, built chiefly in the 13th and 14th centuries, a fine example of Moorish art?
4. In which Oxfordshire palace was Winston Churchill born?
5. The baroque Winter Palace is in which Russian city, which has long rivalled Moscow as a cultural centre?
6. "Picture palace" is an old-fashioned name for what?
7. In which Italian city is the Pitti Palace, which now houses museums and art galleries?
8. The Potala in Lhasa, Tibet, is the great palace and former residence of which religious and political leader?
9. The palace of Knossos is in which Greek island?
10. "Palace Depression" in New Jersey, described as "the strangest house in the world", was what kind of building?