The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Biographies. "A biography is a description of someone's life. If it is written by the person himself or herself, it is called an autobiography. See if you can answer these questions about people's life stories" Answers here.
1. James Boswell is best known for his "Life" of which person?
2. "The Greatest" was the 1975 autobiography of which world-champion boxer?
3. Virginia Woolf's "Flush" was a biography of what sort of animal owned by Elizabeth Barrett Browning?
4. Complete this verse by Edmund Clerihew Bentley:
The Art of Biography
Is different from Geography.
Geography is about Maps
But Biography is about...
5. Who wrote biographies of J. R. R. Tolkien, W. H. Auden and Benjamin Britten, as well as books called "The Inklings" and "Geniuses Together"?
6. "Brother Ray" is the autobiography of which American singer, written with David Ritz?
7. How did Lytton Strachey describe four Victorians in the title of his 1918 book of short biographies of them?
8. Who wrote the autobiographical novel "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", extracted from a work called "Stephen Hero"?
9. Charles Laughton starred in a 1933 film about "The Private Life" of which English king?
10. Anne Stevenson's "Bitter Fame" is a notoriously controversial biography of which of her close contemporaries?