The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: Alcohol. One of the new texts recently added to the Credo Reference database is "Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History: An International Encyclopedia", which contains all kinds of fascinating facts. It includes the answers to all these questions. Answers here.
1. "Scrumpy" is a type of which drink?
2. The YWCA is a worldwide organization stressing the traditional Christian values of sexual propriety, temperance, and proper female behavior. What do the letters "YWCA" stand for?
3. It is predicted that, by 2010, which drink will be number one among the distilled beverages in Mexico?
4. What has been the single most widely banned alcoholic beverage in Western society?
5. Name Billy Wilder's 1945 film about alcoholism, which starred Ray Milland and won four Academy Awards.
6. "CAMRA" is a British campaigning group founded in 1971 as a reaction to the consolidation of the brewing industry. What does the word "CAMRA" stand for?
7. In the 18th century, "geneva" was an alternative name for which drink in London and Holland?
8. Prohibition (or National Prohibition) lasted in the United States from 1920 until which year?
9. Which organization was founded in 1935 by "Bill W." and "Dr. Bob"?
10. Name the brewery established on a hill overlooking Copenhagen, by Jacob Christian Jacobsen and named after his son