The Friday Brain-teaser from Credo Reference - this week: China. Answers here.
1. Which island was ceded to Britain by China in the 19th century but returned to Chinese rule in 1997, when Britain's lease expired?
2. Name the U.S. film actor and kung fu expert whose original name was Lee Yuen Kam and who starred in such films as "Enter the Dragon" (1973).
3. What was the alternative British name given to Mao Zedong, who led the Chinese Communist Party until he died in 1976?
4. What is the largest city in China: Beijing, Nanjing or Shanghai?
5. What is the main colour of China's flag?
6. What do players move across a star-shaped board in the game Chinese chequers (or Chinese checkers)?
7. The "China Syndrome" is a phrase for the meltdown point of a nuclear reactor. Why is it so called?
8. What name was given to two wars between China and Western countries which occurred from 1839 to 1842 and from 1856 to 1860?
9. What is the official language of China?
10. Name the opera by Puccini about a Chinese princess who offers to marry any nobleman who can solve three riddles.