Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Monday, November 29, 2010
Podcast: Hidden Women: uncovering the veil of silence during the partition of Punjab, India 1947 (UK)
# Free the Slaves
# Project on Government Secrecy
# St. Louis Circuit Court Historical Records Project
Sunday, November 28, 2010
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (4th Estate)
The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (Atlantic Books)
The Golden Mean by Annabel Lyon (Atlantic Books)
Maya by Alastair Campbell (Hutchinson)
A Life Apart by Neel Mukherjee (Constable & Robinson)
Heartbreak by Craig Raine (Atlantic Books)
The Shape of Her by Rowan Somerville (W&N)
Mr Peanut by Adam Ross (Jonathan Cape)
The award will be presented to the winner on the 29th November at a ceremony at the In & Out Club in St James's Square, London, UK
Saturday, November 27, 2010
Friday, November 26, 2010
Journal of Analytical Science & Technology
Sri Ramachandra Journal of Medicine
International Indigenous Policy Journal
JURA : Journal of Urban and Regional Analysis
Dalumat : Multikultural at Multidisiplinaryong E-Journal sa Araling Filipino
International School Bangkok Journal of Physics
Environmental Research, Engineering and Management
Frontiers in Psychology
Revista de Administratie Publica si Politici Sociale
1. How many years are there in a decade?
2. The globe is divided into how many time zones: twelve, twenty-four, or forty?
3. How many years are there in a millennium?
4. In the 1952 Western film 'High Noon". who played the marshal deserted by all his fellow townsfolk as he awaited a returning desperado?
5. The letters "p.m." mean "after noon". What Latin phrase are they short for?
6. Who wrote the novel "The Time Machine", published in 1895?
7. In talking about time, what does "GMT" stand for?
8. Which Christian festival falls on the Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox?
9. Who wrote the 1944 novel "Time Must Have a Stop"?
10. A nanosecond is a unit of time equal to what part of a second?
Thursday, November 25, 2010
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
* Provide opportunities for networking and self-development.
* Offer a forum for communication.
* Create a network of cooperation and a forum for discussion about emerging issues in social science librarianship.
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Diversité et Identité Culturelle en Europe (DICE)
International Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences and Technology
Journal of Engineering Science and Technology
Frontiers in Psychiatry
Journal of Law & Family Studies
Schriften des Naturwissenschaftlichen Vereins für Schleswig-Holstein
Denkströme : Journal der Sächsischen Akademie der Wissenschaften
KONA : Powder and Particle Journal
Cadernos de Pesquisa Interdisciplinar em Ciências Humanas
Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business (IJCRB)
Makara Seri Teknologi
Surveys and Perspectives Integrating Environment and Society (S.A.P.I.EN.S)
Colombian Journal of Anesthesiology
e-Journal of the American Hungarian Educators' Association
Chilean Journal of Statistics
Fennia : International Journal of Geography
Monday, November 22, 2010
Sunday, November 21, 2010
* Congressional Serial Set Catalog
* Congressional Publications
* GPO Access Publications
* Internet Publications
* Barcode scanning capability, so library users can scan the barcode of a book at a bookstore or friend's home and retrieve availability information on the book at the patron's library of choice;
* Social recommendation engine powered via Goodreads, enabling iPhone or iPod Touch users to search library holding for friend-recommended reads;
* New York Times best seller list cross-referencing, enabling users to immediately cross-check the best seller list with library holdings and place holds remotely;
* Enhanced account interaction, including the ability for library users to view fines and fees on their Apple mobile device"
In essence it will cover:
* how the major search tools are incorporating social media and real time information in their search results and how you can use this to increase awareness of your organisation and its services
* the importance of identifying relevant platforms and applications for your organisation and tailoring content for them
* ways in which you can generate and re-use content to reach more potential users
* engaging with existing and potential customers and users
* how you can monitor the effectiveness of social media
* technical and human resource issues and the skills needed to implement a social media strategy
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Friday, November 19, 2010
* Jaimy Gordon, Lord of Misrule (McPherson & Co.)
* Patti Smith, Just Kids (Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers)
* Terrance Hayes, Lighthead (Viking Penguin)
Young People's Literature
* Kathryn Erskine, Mockingbird (Philomel Books, a division of Penguin Young Readers Group)
Travail et Formation en Éducation
Genre & Histoire
Southeast Asian Studies
Revista de Geopolítica
Flaubert : Revue Critique et Génétique
Revue de Géographie Alpine
International Journal of Current Research and Review
Revue Historique des Armées
Revista de Análiis Económico (RAE)
Discours : Revue de Linguistique, Psycholinguistique et Informatique
Journal of the Australasian Tax Teachers Association
Revista Mediterránea de Comunicación
Indian Journal of Commerce & Management Studies
Sociétés et Jeunesses en Difficulté
Bulletin du Centre de Recherche Français de Jérusalem
Studii si Cercetari Filologice. Seria Limbi Straine Aplicate
PSL Quarterly Review
Advanced Materials Letters
CIRIEC - España : Revista de Economía Pública, Social y Cooperativa
Inner Resources for Leaders
Journal of Biblical Perspectives in Leadership
eXPRESS Polymer Letters
Magis International Journal of Research in Education
Journal of Orofacial Sciences
1. In which city would you be most likely to see the boat with pointed upturned ends called a gondola?
2. Where would you be most likely to find a "narrow boat"?
3. The "Cutty Sark" was one of the swiftest and most celebrated British ships. Was it a galleon, a steamboat or a clipper?
4. In modern use, how many hulls does a catamaran have?
5. In Edward Lear's poem "The Owl and the Pussy-Cat", what colour was the boat in which the title characters went to sea?
6. Name one of the three ships that Christopher Columbus and his crew boarded for a famous voyage from Spain westwards in August 1492.
7. What was the title of Katherine Anne Porter's only novel, published in 1962, which was made into a 1964 film directed by Stanley Kramer?
8. Name the comic opera by Gilbert & Sullivan about the marriage of the beautiful daughter of the captain of the ship in the title.
9. What was the name of the ship commanded by Captain Ahab in "Moby-Dick"?
10. What is or was a "Q-ship"?
* Libraries Choose AirPAC for Smartphones
* NISO Announces availability of NCIP Implementer Registry
* TLC releases smart-phone app
* California library installs automated branch in BART Station
And much more
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Columbia University Libraries receive gift to establish Norman E. Alexander Library for Jewish Studies
Costa First Novel Award
* Witness the Night by Kishwar Desai
* Coconut Unlimited by Nikesh Shukla
* The Temple-Goers by Aatish Taseer
* Not Quite White by Simon Thirsk
Costa Novel Award
* Whatever You Love by Louise Doughty
* The Blasphemer by Nigel Farndale
* The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell
* Skippy Dies by Paul Murray
Costa Biography Award
* How to Live A Life of Montaigne by Sarah Bakewell
* My Father's Fortune by Michael Frayn
* The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal
Costa Poetry Award
* Standard Midland by Roy Fisher
* The Wrecking Light by Robin Robertson
* Of Mutability by Jo Shapcott
* New Light for the Old Dark by Sam Willetts
Costa Children's Book Award
* Flyaway by Lucy Christopher
* Annexed by Sharon Dogar
* Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud
* Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
* Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald
* George Swinton
* Arnold O. Brigden
* Elizabeth Maude MacVicar
* Bertram Brooker
* Leo Mol
* Angus Shortt
In addition, the religious work of several Ukrainian-Canadian artists is also showcased
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Scientific Papers of the Research Institute for Fruit Growing Pitesti, Romania
Perspectives : International Postgraduate Journal of Philosophy
Consilience : The Journal of Sustainable Development
A Parte Rei : Revista de Filosofia
Monday, November 15, 2010
* Neil Simon's Barefoot In The Park, starring Eric Stoltz and Laura Linney
* Molière's The Misanthrope starring Kevin Gudahl, Hollis Resnik, and Harry Althaus
* Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest starring James Marsters
* Moisés Kaufman's Gross Indecency: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde starring Simon Templeman
* Shakespeare's Pericles
* Moss Hart's Light Up the Sky
Also new with this update is Send To Mobile functionality. Now you can take the collection with you by streaming works directly to your mobile device
# Foreign Relations of the United States
# HPN: Humanitarian Practice Network
# Most Horrible and Shocking Murders
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Chinese Journal of Plant Ecology
International Journal of Grid and Distributed Computing
International Journal of Hybrid Information Technology
International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications
Jornal Brasileiro de Nefrologia
Moneta e Credito
Odiseo: Revista Electrónica de Pedagogía
Bulletin of the International Association for Paleodontology
Surgical Neurology International
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Friday, November 12, 2010
University of Liverpool (Liverpool University Centre for Archive Studies)
Birmingham Women's NHS Foundation Trust
Health Libraries Network, Kent, Surrey and Sussex
International Library and Information Group
Commercial Legal and Scientific Information Group
Career Development Group
The Open University
North West Health Care Libraries Unit
European Information Association
National Acquisition Group
Society of Indexers
Libraries and Information East Midlands Group
West Midlands Health Library Development Unit
Coleg Llandrillo Cymru
NHS Direct Wales
CILIP Health Libraries Group
Preservation Advisory Centre
University of Ulster
London Libraries Development Agency
CILIP Personnel, Training and Education Group
1. Rap artist who had the lead role in TV's "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and later starred in the films "Independence Day" and "Men in Black".
2. British actress who appeared in the films "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", "A Room With a View", "The First Wives Club" and "Gosford Park".
3. The most prominent jazz-blues Hammond organ player of the late fifties and early sixties.
4. Australian gardener Maria Ann Smith had an apple named after the familiar name she was known by. What is the apple called?
5. British author who wrote the children's classic "The Hundred and One Dalmatians" as well as the plays "Autumn Crocus" and "Dear Octopus".
6. British writer whose best-known poem is probably the title poem of her 1957 collection "Not Waving But Drowning".
7. African-American blues singer (died 1937) known for her imposing physical size and full-bodied delivery. Edward Albee wrote a 1960 play about her death.
8. The founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (otherwise known as the Mormons).
9. English economist whose 1776 book "The Wealth of Nations" revolutionized thinking about capitalism.
10. A Whig clergyman and canon of St Paul's who was called by Macaulay "The Smith of Smiths".
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Revista Brasileira de Geofísica
Revista Brasileira de Parasitologia Veterinária
Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
Soldagem & Inspeção
Catholic Education : A Journal of Inquiry and Practice
Contemporary Clinical Dentistry
Geološki Anali Balkanskog Poluostrva
Glasnik Šumarskog Fakulteta
Global Journal of Technology and Optimization
Societate s,i Politica(
Annals of Duna(rea de Jos University. Fascicle I : Economics and Applied Informatics
Teaching American Literature : A Journal of Theory and Practice
Middle East Studies
Banat's Journal of Biotechnology
Language and Literature : European Landmarks of Identity
Studii de Gramatica Contrastiva
Universal Journal of Computer Science and Engineering Technology
Acta Botanica Malacitana
Journal of Financial Therapy
Revista Redescrições : Revista on-line do GT de Pragmatismo e Filosofia Norte-Americana
Escola Anna Nery
Dental Press Journal of Orthodontics
Journal of Library and Information Science
Jurnal Teknik Industri
Brunei International Medical Journal